Red velvet sponge
60g butter [room temp], 1 egg, 150g caster sugar
10g cocoa powder, 20ml red food colouring
1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 120ml buttermilk
150g plain flour, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1 tsp baking powder**, 1/2 tsp salt
- Cream the butter with the sugar, till all incorporated and the butter becomes a little pale in colour.
- Add in the egg, mixed well.
- Cocoa powder + red colour mix together into a paste. And add into the batter, mix well.
- Add vanilla extract into batter and pour in half of the buttermilk, mixed well. And pour the remaining buttermilk and mix.
- Sift all the powder ingredients into the batter, whisk into the batter quickily. Becareful not to overmix, otherwise your cake will become rock hard.
- Spoon or pipe into cupcake cases, baked at 175C for 16-18 mins