This is my 4th post of macaroons. I am constantly trying out new recipes and will be adding on these recipes to this database once I am satisfied with the results. bought a macaroons recipe book earlier and I tried out a few different flavour but they didn't turn out very good. It's really hard to control the quality of macaroons, they look different every time I make it even using the same recipe. The key is to be precise in measuring the ingredients and the baking temperature. They are just so much fun to make, you can make any flavour colour combination and that is what makes them great fun.
recipe from Macaroons A collection of delicious sweet treats, I made a few slight change.
Ingredients (makes 16):
75g ground almonds
115g icing sugar
2 large egg whites
50g caster sugar
1/2 tsp rosewater ( I used rose syrup instead)
few drops of pink/red food colouring
The recipe from the book uses double cream for the filling, I used buttercream instead.
140g icing sugar
1/2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp rose syrup
few drops of pink food colouring
1. Sift ground almonds and icing sugar together for few times, mix them well.
2. Place the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk until holding soft peaks. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar to make a firm glossy meringue. Whisk in the rose syrup and food colouring.
3. Fold the the meringue into the almond mixture one third at a time. When all the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated, continue to cut and fold the mixture until it forms a shiny batter with a thick ribbon-like consistency.
4. Pour mixture into a pipping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Pipe 32 small rounds onto the prepared baking sheets. Tap the baking sheets firmly onto a work surface to remove air bubbles. Top half the macaroons with spoilt dried rose petal. Leave at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 160C.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then carefully peel the macaroons off the baking paper, leave to cool completely/
6. To make the filling, whisk all the ingredients until nice and smooth, use to sandwich pairs of macaroons together.